The classic Maid-Rite is a loose meat sandwich made with perfectly seasoned, tender slow-cooked ground beef served on a warm slightly sweetened bun. We have tried to replicate it for years and at long last, we have the perfect crock pot recipe and it is one to keep! If you have never tried one, run (do not walk) to your kitchen and make this!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon low sodium beef base or a bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon low sodium chicken base or a bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 pounds lean ground beef uncooked
- 8 hamburger buns
- Optional toppings: cheese ketchup, pickles, onions, mustard
- Set slow cooker to high. Add all ingredients (except beef). Stir to combine. Add beef and stir until all combined and beef is completely coated.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour. Stir occasionally to break up ground beef. Uncover after 1 hour of cook time. Continue cooking on high for 2 ½ - 3 hours (with the lid off), until most of the liquid has cooked off. Continue to stir occasionally and break up any chunks of beef.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve a heaping spoonful on a warm bun and load it up with your favorite toppings. We love cheese, ketchup and pickles!
- Serve and enjoy!