Southern Style Fried Chicken
This Southern Style Fried Chicken is the best representation of juicy chicken on the inside with irresistible crust so full of crunchy ripples.
- 14 chicken drumsticks or 50/50 drumsticks & thighs
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tbsp ground mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Deep frying thermometer
- Dutch oven or other deep heavy duty frying pot
- Baking sheet with wire cooling rack
- Long tongs
- Paper towels
- Wipe the chicken with paper towels and leave to dry out for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare the dry mixture by combining all the ingredients in the large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs with buttermilk, then add flour and the spices.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or any other heavy duty deep pot until thermometer reaches 325F. Plan on frying no more than 3 pieces of chicken at a time, in order to not overcrowd the pot.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the wet batter. Then coat it in dry mixture all over.
- Carefully place each piece in oil. Fry for 15 min or until deep golden brown.
- Remove chicken onto the cooling rack and proceed with the next batch. Adjust the temperature after each batch.
- Allow the chicken to cool for 10 minutes before serving.